CAPAAR the Best Cardiac Rehabilitation Center in Hulimavu, Bangalore. Angina is the name given to a group of disorders that result in severe chest pain or discomfort. Angina can be painful and severely undermine the individual’s ability to perform basic physical tasks like climbing stairs. Physiotherapy targets specific areas of the cardiovascular system to minimize angina, improve cardiovascular fitness and reduce the risk for further complications.
Symptoms of Angina
Angina may be felt as a pain in the chest, jaw, back or neck and is usually described as a weighty, tight or burning sensation. These discomforts may be accompanied by breathlessness, nausea and excessive sweating.
Causes of Angina
The heart is also a muscle, which needs a proper oxygen supply to work effectively. The oxygen is present in the blood, which flows through the arteries. Any blockage in the arteries interrupts the blood supply to the heart muscle due to which it spasms. The pain caused in the heart having a spasm is called angina.
Physiotherapy for Angina
An experienced physiotherapist first assesses muscle strength, the level, and frequency of pain and overall cardiovascular fitness. The findings of the evaluation are discussed and the therapist will develop a regime in consultation with the patient or caregivers and set specific goals for the short and long terms. For example, the patient may be given a short-term goal to walk ten meters with the help of a stick within two weeks. An example of a longer-term goal is to swim three lengths of a swimming pool with a prescribed time limit.
Therapy and goals are customized to a patient’s physical condition, level of fitness and ambitions. The physiotherapist works closely with patients to help them achieve the set goals within the set time. The physiotherapy would focus on these areas:
Every individual’s goals are different and depend upon your current level of fitness, your hobbies, and ambitions. Your physiotherapist will work closely with you to help you achieve these goals in an appropriate time frame. The treatment sessions for an individual with angina may work on:
- Cardiovascular exercise
- Fitness and stamina
- Flexibility and range of movement
- Core stability and dynamic balance work
- Weight management
- Lifestyle changes
Physiotherapist at CAPAAR the Best Cardiac Rehabilitation Center in Hulimavu, Bangalore may also give you an exercise program separate from the therapy sessions. These are designed to be a challenge and stimulate the patient towards better achieving the set goals. Patients are also taught how to warm before the exercise and cool down afterward to regulate the heartbeat. The patient’s blood pressure and heart rate is monitored throughout the session. The physiotherapists also coach patients and caregivers on monitoring symptoms of angina and reduce the risk of complications.
The benefits of angina are varied and include:
- Increased cardiovascular fitness
- Increased flexibility and range of movement
- Exercise in confidence with the supervision of a specialist physiotherapist
- Decrease your risk factors for further cardiovascular problems
- Learn the best exercises for you to do in the gym or at home
- Learn how to integrate fitness and exercise into your daily routine
- Maintain your motivation to keep your risk factors under control
- Access to a gym or hydrotherapy pool
CAPAAR for Angina Treatment
With angina, it is crucial to alleviate your symptoms and reduce the prevailing risk factors, which may worsen the condition. Here are some of the areas that can be invaluable to angina patients:
- Experienced, understanding physiotherapists
- Treatment at home, in a clinic or in your local gym
- Set specific targets and goals to achieve in an appropriate time frame
- Provision of an individualized home exercise program
- Access to specialized gymnasium
- Access to hydrotherapy swimming pool
- No waiting lists